Thursday, October 16, 2008

The Tune in the Breeze...


So I was listening to Matisyahu’s new song – So High So Low. I have to explain: I’ve been a fan of Matis for almost three years now, and let me tell you, I love his music! But it isn’t just the style of music he uses, or his rhythms, although they are catchy and make you want to move; but what mostly catch my attention are his lyrics!
Like “...from the forest itself comes the handle for the ax...”, or “…a whirlwind of praise from below to above…”, they are lyrics that carry sustenance, a message; now that’s what I love most about Matis’ music. Listening to the song So High So Low – I was immediately struck by the part that says: “…I’ve been searching for the shade of a Tree…I heard about it through the Tune in the Breeze…”
As soon as I heard that line, I knew exactly what he was talking about; it reminded me of the movie August Rush, where the little boy says – “music is everywhere”. Jewish Mysticism teaches that all of G-d’s Creation sings praises and acknowledgement to the Creator; the trees sing, the birds, the grass, and yes, even the wind.
A few days ago I was reading at the NASA website about a recent discovery; after sending the Cassini spacecraft to explore the planet Saturn, they found that the rings of such planet can transmit radio waves that make sounds. I listened to them, and although they resemble sound effects from a Sci-Fi movie, I was simply amazed, and quickly remembered what David says in Psalms 148:3-4“Praise him, sun and moon, praise him, all you shining stars. Praise him, you highest heavens and you waters above the skies”.
I’ve noticed than in more than one song, Matis refers to such “tune in the wind”, songs like -Time of Your Song “…The world is moving to the song I hear, Who’s that singing wind is rushing in my ear…” and Aish Tamid“…My insides rise I start to feel paralyzed; Let out a sigh-a melody blew by- like an ancient war crythe way the sunlight hit the trees it really caught my eye, glistening' listening' to the breeze dancing' through the leaves, freeze, the city move's in slow motion like a dream…” He gives us a brief reference, as if hinting the importance of keeping an ear open to such “tune”; but in this new song – So High So Low – he gives it to us straight out.
As if telling everyone, music is everywhere…all you got to do is pay attention; keep an ear open and have your soul ready to listen…and you just might catch that “tune in the breeze”.

No comments: