Friday, August 22, 2008

Being a Mommie has it's perks...


Last Friday (August 15) my children woke up, and as soon as they did, the nagging and complaining began; because they were hungry, they wanted to go to the pool, they didn't want to brush their teeth, yada!! yada!!.....sigh! And so began my day, just like any other day. As I am getting busy in the kitchen fixing their breakfast, Adrian asks me, like he always does, every single morning: " Mom, what day is today?" - So, like I always do, I said "today is Friday baby" - He turned to look at me and tells me: " but Friday is supposed to be your birthday" I just looked at him and smiled. His eyes got open wide, and he squeeled: "today is your birthday" !!! And all of a sudden dissapeared. As usual he went running to his big sister to give her the news.
As the morning went by, I noticed Tiffany was too quiet, so I went to check up on her, and saw her very busy doing something in her room. Occassionally, she would come by to ask for paper, or scissors, and even string??
Just before noon she came into my bedroom with an accomplished look on her face. She said: "Happy Birthday Momma (that's how she likes to call me, I don't know why), I made something for you" She then handed me her masterpiece, what she had been quietly working on all morning long. I already had my suspicions that she was making a b-day card; so I smiled and decided to read it and "over react" with surprise and happiness, just to see her delighted face while I did so. But this time, she really caught me by surprise...
It was a six page, handmade book; all of the pages attached with string!! It was a beautifully decorated book, that had a picture on side of each page, and written text on the other side. A compilation of sorts of all the reasons why she loves me. I was in shock and amazement. She is a very creative and skilfull little artist, but her sincerity and effort blew me away this time. It is by far, the best b-day gift I have ever received. I want to share what Tiffany wrote on each page of her book:
Page 1 - Mom, I love you cuz you are like a super hero to me!!
Page 2 - Mom, I like about you that you make some good pancakes, that are sooo good. I love that about you!!
Page 3 - Mom, I love about you that you take us to the pool!
Page 4 - Mom, I like it when you smile at me, it makes me feel special! ( this one is my favorite)
Page 5 - Mom, you are the best!!!
Page 6 - drawing of the whole family at the beach....
As my eyes filled with tears, I realized that - It's little things like these that make it all worth while. It made me realize that to someone, I am very special and appreciated even if they don't say it often. As I hugged her and kissed her, I thanked her for her beautiful gift, and for making feel so special and happy on that day.
It's moments like these that I appreciate the life I've been given; they give me a boost, a jump start to go on living another year of a very special, little someone's life.

No comments: